Frequently Asked Questions About Career Coach Academy’s 15-week CCMC Program
ICF Approval: This 30-hour program of Core Competency Training is approved by the International Coach Federation (ICF) as a part of our Accredited Coach Training Program (ACTP)!
The Academies, Inc. | Career Coach Academy offers an innovative learning model that provides you with a unique opportunity to receive live, small-group training to be able to use:
- powerful coaching techniques to jumpstart and motivate clients,
- insider secrets for career management in this changing economy, and
- for entrepreneurs, proven practice-building strategies to attract your “choice” client … for career center professionals, techniques to help your clients understand the value of the services you offer so that they will “buy-in” with greater commitment and involvement.
Why The Academies?
Foundational to becoming a good coach is the ability to master a unique communication style. To become a good coach you must practice with people–asking powerful questions to increase awareness and possibilities, listening interactively to hone in on unearthed truths or client hesitations, guiding the conversation without pushing your agenda or letting the client get sidetracked or derailed, and more.
These skills cannot be mastered in a weekend format (have you ever come back to your office after being at a great conference, only to forget half of what you’ve learned or be too busy to implement the other half?) Nor can coaching be mastered entirely by embarking on self-directed study or reading books (much the same as taking a course on music appreciation does not equip you to play Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata). The Academies, Inc. | Career Coach Academy 15-week format allows you to turn coaching theory into reality as you “practice coach” in a safe, small-group format and integrate it into your practice over a period of time.
We “meet” from the comfort of home/office via telephone bridge line for 15 weeks, for 2 hours each time. Total class hours are 30. The beauty of the 15-week program allows you the time and framework to assimilate, practice and execute the new systems, strategies, and communication styles learned.
Clusters are scheduled to meet once each week for 15 consecutive weeks via a telephone bridge line that connects you with your instructor and your cluster-mates. See our calendar or email Rachel at Rachel@theacademies.com for upcoming dates and times.
If you wish to participate in 1-on-1 training, the program sessions will be scheduled at a mutually convenient time and can be compressed into a slightly shorter time frame or stretched to a slightly longer time frame–whatever will work best for your schedule.
No special computer technology is required for the coaching clusters, although it is highly recommended that you have a computer for obtaining email and downloading files. Also, if you don’t already have one, purchase a good quality telephone headset and use a telephone that is not dependent on a battery charge.
The Academies, Inc. | Career Coach Academy program is packed with rich content, providing coaching competencies and career management principles, tools, forms, and strategies that you’ll need to serve clients. For instance, program sessions include these topics:
- Visioning, Career Coaching:10 Truths Visioning Exercise; Career Paradise Exercise; Vision, Value, Vigor
- Coaching: Competencies, Essentials & Differences between Coaching, Consulting & Counseling
- 10 Keys to 21st Century Career Management: 3 Principles & 10 Keys
- Structure of a Coaching Call: 3-part process to a coaching call, with Agenda, Awareness, and Action.
- Master F.I.T. (External F.I.T.=Function, Industry/Interest, Things That Matter … Internal F.I.T.=Fulfillment, Identity, Type)
- Career Assessments: Interest Inventory. Differences between debriefing assessments from the coach-approach vs. a consulting or counseling approach.
- Career Assessments: Type/Temperament. Coach awareness of own Type and how it impacts your coaching, as well as awareness of client’s type and how to best coach different types.
- Assessment: Purpose/Values. Coaching clients to create a compelling purpose statement. How values impact career choice and career management.
- Career Reconnaissance: 10 Steps to Conducting Initial “Career Reconnaissance” session with a career explorer
- Brainstorming & Exploration Strategies: Brainstorming Exercises; 5 Steps to Exploration and Decision/Commitment
- Career Branding: The 3 A’s of Branding—Authentic Image; Advantages; Awareness
- Networking: Uncovering networking roadblocks, coaching techniques to support networking, four types of networking contacts
- Job Search | Resume | Interviewing: Highlights of Coaching Clients through Job Search and Interviewing
- Promotable People: 10 Characteristics of Promotable People
- Career Coach Marketing: Strategies to Market Your Career Coaching Business
Instructors for the program are either Kit Prendergast, PCC or Susan Britton Whitcomb, PCC.
How much time will you spend in addition to class-time hours? Past participants indicate spending between one to two hours each week for reading preclass material. Others report spending additional time implementing new coaching and marketing concepts learned in class (e.g., revising their web site to include coaching services; writing value statements to articulate the return-on-investment that coaching clients receive; setting aside “think” time to envision the direction they’d like to take their business, etc.).
The Certified Career Management Coach program has been approved by the International Coach Federation as an Approved Coach Specific Training Hours Program (ACSTH) for 30 hours of training.
At the conclusion of the program, participants who have missed no more than 3 classes may sit for the CCMC exam, which involves a short multiple-choice exam and a live 45-minute coaching evaluation with an ICF Professional Certified Coach playing the part of a career client. Training is structured in such a way that you have ample opportunity to learn and apply the skills and information necessary to pass the oral exam. A vast majority of participants who have opted to sit for the credential have passed on the first time.
There is no additional fee for the exam. Those passing will receive a listing on The Academies’ Career Coach Academy web site to promote your credentials as a Certified Career Management Coach, rights to use the CCMC logo (see below), and a display certificate suitable for framing. In addition, the credential also makes you eligible for other opportunities that Career Coach Academy pursues on behalf of CCMC practitioners. To maintain the CCMC credential, 10 CEUs of coach-specific training (containing ICF core competencies) are required every two years.
If a participant does not pass the oral evaluation upon first attempt, additional requirements include: A minimum of 2 additional 1-on-1 mentor coaching sessions, paid to the mentor coach; Retake oral examination within 8 weeks; $150 additional exam fee, paid prior to retaking the exam.
Cluster format (up to 10 classmates): pricing and registration details please click HERE.
Individual format (one-on-one): pricing and registration details please click HERE.
Also required for the course is the “Co-Active Coaching” (3rd edition) by Henry Kimsey-House, et al.
The first reading assignment from this book starts with Week 1. Should you wish to purchase through Amazon.com, this link will take you directly to the book at Amazon: here.
Note: Cluster format requires a minimum enrollment of 4 students, maximum of 12 students.
Should you need to withdraw, the following options are available:
Option 1: Retake the course, with a starting date within 12 months of the original starting date (subject to space availability) – a $150 administrative fee applies and an additional charge if the CCMC program has increased in investment.
Or, Option 2: Receive a refund equal to 80% of tuition (if withdrawing before class 3 – note that upon notifying us of withdrawal, we ask you to delete the CCMC binder website page and any files you have downloaded); no refund available after class 3.
For those participating in the Cluster format (and do not already hold an ICF credential) who wish to take the certification exam, there is also a requirement of 5 mentor coaching calls (approximately 1-hour each) – to focus on developing career coaching competencies to prepare you for the oral evaluation.
For individuals who wish to complete the CCMC certification, there is also a requirement of 5 mentor coaching calls (approximately 1-hour each).
- Mentor coaching is NOT required for individuals who hold an ICF credential (ACC, PCC, or MCC).
- The individual mentor coaching must be completed within 8 weeks after completion of the 15-week CCMC program in order to take the oral exam and qualify for your credential. Missed sessions, without 24 hours prior notice, are billed.
- Five mentor coaching sessions are required. In some instances, additional sessions will be necessary. Your mentor coach will keep you apprised of your progress and readiness to pass the oral evaluation at the fifth session.
NOTE: This requirement does not apply to individuals who already hold the CCMC designation and are taking the Refresh & Recharge program.
Your Return-on-Investment is three-fold:
- Foundational coaching competencies that will enable you to motivate yourself, your clients, and everyone around you.
- Savvy career management strategies that have helped thousands move forward faster in their careers.
- Proven business management and marketing systems to structure your services, attract new clients, and develop a reputation as a performance-based provider of career management services.
We hope this information is helpful and, of course, we encourage you to participate in training that will increase your knowledge of career coaching, boost your confidence in marketing and providing these services, and be of value to the clients you serve. We’d love to have you join us in the next program!
For more information, contact Rachel Grima- email@example.com
“You are not here merely to make a living. You are here in order to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world, and you impoverish yourself if you forget the errand.” — Woodrow Wilson