Certified MBA|Grad School|University Career Coach Program
Vision & Goals:
To support MBA, University, Grad School career services professionals in using a coach-approach so that students. . .
- prioritize their career in the midst of challenging academic schedules, “own” their success, and embrace challenges or setbacks as opportunities to grow and thrive
- pursue career goals that are in sync with their strengths, passions, purpose, and values
- take action to expand their professional connections, be of value to their networks, and gain experiences that will increase their value and marketability
Career Services Offices face the challenge of helping students leverage their academics into real-world employment. Student satisfaction scores, placement rates, and salary offers all factor in to measure success. Although students are typically motivated and want great opportunities as a result of their degrees, career coaches often encounter a number of challenging scenarios:
- Students who need to “own” their job-search to a greater degree instead of expecting career services to “hand them a job”
- Students who under-prioritize their job search due to academic demands, until it’s often too late to go for their ideal situations
- Students who network “transactionally” vs. “relationally,” or “quantitatively” instead of “qualitatively”
- Students who struggle with getting clear on their career/job target, or those who have a clear target yet will face major competition due to their marketability
- Students who are “double switchers” (switching functional positions and industry targets) and can’t persuasively communicate their candidacy
- And more!
You will be equipped to:
- Shift students from career confusion to clarity, confidence, and commitment … fast!
- Help students get past hesitations, worries, or procrastination
- Address expectations and engage students to “own” their success
- Say the “hard things” to students so they receive it and take action
- Begin to master brain-based coaching and languaging techniques
- Build trust and rapport with students to facilitate honest communication and trust relationships
- Help career-changers bridge the “lack of experience” or “no network” gap and more!
Here are just a few of the Universities with Academies-trained Certified Career Coaches on staff:
Dartmouth College, Tuck School of Business
John Hopkins University, Carey Business School
Queen’s University, Smith School of Business
Texas A&M University, Mays Business School
University of Toronto, Rotman School of Business
Yale University, School of Management
Meet for 12 weeks for group webinar sessions with 6 additional hours of audio archives followed by 5 individual one-one-one mentor coaching sessions for accelerated success.
Weekly topics include:
- Coaching vs. Consulting & ICF Core Coaching Competencies
- Fail-Safe Structure of a Coaching Call
- Career Reconnaissance
- Coaching Career Decisions I & II
- Reasons & Remedies for Hesitations
- Coaching Career Switchers
- Coaching Career Enhancers
- Networking/Informational Interviewing
- Momentum Building
- Mindset, Resistance & Common Derailers
- Coaching International Students
ICF Approval: This 30-hour program of Core Competency Training is the only of its kind approved by the International Coach Federation (ICF) as a part of our Accredited Coach Training Program (ACTP), Cluster Or Individual Training. Note: This program is approved by ICF under the names “Certified MBA Career Coach”; “Certified University Career Coach”; or “Certified Graduate School Career Coach”; one designation will be granted based on the types of students you work with most.
WHY THE ACADEMIES
Foundational to becoming a good coach is the ability to master a unique communication style. To become a good coach you must practice with people–asking powerful questions to increase awareness and possibilities, listening interactively to hone in on unearthed truths or client hesitations, guiding the conversation without pushing your agenda or letting the client get sidetracked or derailed, and more.
These skills cannot be mastered in a weekend format (have you ever come back to your office after being at a great conference, only to forget half of what you’ve learned or be too busy to implement the other half?) Nor can coaching be mastered entirely by embarking on self-directed study or reading books (much the same as taking a course on music appreciation does not equip you to play Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata). The Academies, Inc. | Career Coach Academy 12-week format allows you to turn coaching theory into reality as you “practice coach” in a safe, small-group format and integrate it into your practice over a period of time.
Susan Britton Whitcomb, Founder and President of The Academies, Inc., is a leading authority on coach certification training using a proprietary blend of neuroscience research, behavioral change/performance improvement, and professional coaching competencies. Whitcomb directs a team of 10 thought leaders who have trained and credentialed hundreds of professionals worldwide. Author of 7 books, including the best-selling Resume Magic, Whitcomb is a frequent source for the media (The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, US News & World Report), as
Kristy Posocco is an eighteen-year veteran of the talent management arena. Over the course of her career, she has coached liberal arts and MBA students, managed high profile internship and recruiting programs, served as president of the University Career Action Network, and designed innovative flipped classroom career curricula for MBA students. Most recently, she was the Director of Career Education and Coaching at Yale SOM and has served on career teams at Yale College, Mount Holyoke College, and Harvard Business
School. Kristy holds the ACC credential through the ICF and is a Gallup-Certified Strengths Coach. She is currently engaged with the Toigo Foundation as the Career Coach for their Class of 2020 MBA Fellows pursuing careers in finance at top U.S. business schools.
We “meet” from the comfort of home/office via webinar for 12 weeks, for 2 hours each time. Total class hours are 24. The beauty of the 12-week program allows you the time and framework to assimilate, practice and execute the new systems, strategies, and communication styles learned. It also allows you to connect with your instructors and cluster-mates.
How much time will you spend in addition to class-time hours? Past participants indicate spending between one to two hours each week for reading preclass material and integrating new coaching techniques with coachees.
If you wish to create a private cohort, the program sessions will be scheduled at a mutually convenient time.
Open Cluster Format (4-12 classmates): pricing and registration details please click HERE.
Private Cohort: pricing and registration details please contact Rachel Grima at Rachel@theacademies.com or 559.547.8200.
Note: Contact Rachel at (559) 547-8200 or email@example.com for more information and additional pricing options if you are registering two or more participants.
Read More About Our Program Policy And Procedures Here:
Appropriate for career coaches working in university career services offices, with a background in career development, recruiting, business, or industry.
A computer will be required as classes are held via webinar. No special computer technology is required for the coaching clusters.
- Attendance: Attend 10 of the 12 live class sessions
- Evaluation: At the conclusion of the program, participants will take a short open-note, open-book multiple-choice exam. A vast majority of participants who have opted to sit for the credential have passed on the first time.
- Self-Directed Audio Files: Coaches will listen to 6 additional hours of pre-recorded audio files and provided a brief write up.
- Individual Mentor Coaching: 5 mentor coaching sessions are included in the price of the program. Mentor coaching sessions are one-on-one and about an hour each. Susan Britton Whitcomb, PCC will be the mentor coach.
- Individual mentor coaching must be completed within 12 weeks after completion of the 12-week CELDC program. Missed sessions, without 24 hours prior notice, are billed.
Upon completion of the above requirements, coaches will receive a display certificate suitable for framing, a listing on The Academies’ Career Coach Academy web site to promote your credentials as a Certified MBA|University|Grad School Career Coach certification, and rights to use the CCMC MBA/UNIV/GRAD logo. In addition, the credential also makes you eligible for other opportunities that Career Coach Academy pursues on behalf of MBA/UNIV/GRAD practitioners.
The Certified MBA|University|Grad School Career Coach certification is valid for two years. To maintain the credential, 10 CEUs of coach-specific training (containing ICF core competencies) are required every two years.
Should you need to withdraw, the following options are available:
Transfer Option: Should you want to retake the course, with a starting date within 12 months of the original starting date (subject to space availability) – a $100 administrative fee applies and an additional charge equal to the difference in price if the program has increased in investment.
Withdrawal Option: Receive a refund equal to 90% of tuition (if withdrawing before class 3 – note that upon notifying us of withdrawal, we ask you to delete the program handouts website page and any files you have downloaded); no refund available after class 3.