The Coaching Program
30-hour program: teleseminar/webinar format at starting times throughout the year (on-site training available)
Vision & Goals: To support MBA career services professionals in using a coach-approach so that students. . .
- prioritize their career in the midst of challenging academic schedules, “own” their success, and embrace challenges or setbacks as opportunities to grow and thrive
- pursue career goals that are in sync with their strengths, passions, purpose, and values
- take action to expand their professional connections, be of value to their networks, and gain experiences that will increase their value and marketability
The Challenge: Career Services Offices face the challenge of helping students leverage their academics into real-world employment. Student satisfaction scores, placement rates, and salary offers all factor in to measure success. Although students are typically motivated and want great opportunities as a result of their degrees, career coaches often encounter a number of challenging scenarios:
- Students who need to “own” their job-search to a greater degree instead of expecting career services to “hand them a job”
- Students who under-prioritize their job search due to academic demands, until it’s often too late to go for their ideal situations
- Students who network “transactionally” vs. “relationally,” or “quantitatively” instead of “qualitatively”
- Students who struggle with getting clear on their career/job target, or those who have a clear target yet will face major competition due to their marketability
- Students who are “double switchers” (switching functional positions and industry targets) and can’t persuasively communicate their candidacy
- And more!
You will be equipped to:
- Shift students from career confusion to clarity, confidence, and commitment … fast!
- Help students get past hesitations, worries, or procrastination
- Address expectations and engage students to “own” their success
- Say the “hard things” to students so they receive it and take action
- Begin to master brain-based coaching and languaging techniques
- Build trust and rapport with students to facilitate honest communication and trust relationships
- Help career-changers bridge the “lack of experience” or “no network” gap and more!
FREE handout: “77+ Zinger Questions & Comments for MBA Career Coaches”
The Program Outline:
Meet for 12 weeks for group webinar sessions with 6 additional hours of audio archives followed by five individual one-one-one mentor coaching sessions for accelerated success. Weekly topics include:
- Coaching vs. Consulting & ICF Core Coaching Competencies
- Fail-Safe Structure of a Coaching Call
- Career Reconnaissance
- Coaching Career Decisions I & II
- Reasons & Remedies for Hesitations
- Coaching Career Switchers
- Coaching Career Enhancers
- Networking/Informational Interviewing
- Momentum Building
- Mindset, Resistance & Common Derailers
- Coaching International Students
ICF Approval: This 30-hour program of Core Competency Training is the only of its kind approved by the International Coach Federation (ICF) as a part of our Accredited Coach Training Program (ACTP), Cluster Or Individual Training. Note: This program is approved by ICF under the names “Certified MBA Career Coach”; “Certified University Career Coach”; or “Certified Graduate School Career Coach”; one designation will be granted based on the types of students you work with most.
Philosophy of Coaching
The Academies’ philosophy of coaching has its roots in positive psychology—exploring the strengths and virtues that enable people to thrive. The “pursuit of happiness” is a Western concept originating from the Declaration of Independence, but we believe it applies to human beings from Boston to Beijing, and San Francisco to the Sinai. All individuals have the ability to thrive. They just need a compelling vision, insights on how to do things efficiently, strategies to execute, and accountability to stay on course.
Requirements for Entering Program
Appropriate for career coaches working in university career services offices, with a background in career development, recruiting, business, or industry.
Susan Britton Whitcomb, Founder and President of The Academies, Inc., is a leading authority on coach certification training using a proprietary blend of neuroscience research, behavioral change/performance improvement, and professional coaching competencies. Whitcomb directs a team of 10 thought leaders who have trained and credentialed hundreds of professionals worldwide. Author of 7 books, including the best-selling Resume Magic, Whitcomb is a frequent source for the media (The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, US News & World Report), as well as an in-the-trenches, experienced leadership agility coach who has worked with of professional, management, and executive job seekers during her career. Susan can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ellen Bartkowiak is a 20-year career management expert and understands the inner workings of a career management center and its primary audience: the student. She is a sought-after speaker, coach and consultant and is President of EllenCoaching, a career management firm which assists MBA students and alumni to manage their career. She uses her experience as a former Director of Career Management Centers to assist Career Coaches with their demands: employer relations, event planning, and most importantly, one-on-one coaching. Ellen
We “meet” from the comfort of home/office via webinar for 12 weeks, for 2 hours each time. Total class hours are 24. The beauty of the 12-week program allows you the time and framework to assimilate, practice and execute the new systems, strategies, and communication styles learned. It also allows you to connect with your instructors and cluster-mates.
How much time will you spend in addition to class-time hours? Past participants indicate spending between one to two hours each week for reading preclass material and integrating new coaching techniques with coachees.
If you wish to create a private cohort, the program sessions will be scheduled at a mutually convenient time.
A computer will be required as classes are held via webinar. No special computer technology is required for the coaching clusters.
- Attendance: Attend 10 of the 12 live class sessions
- Evaluation: At the conclusion of the program, participants will take a short multiple-choice exam. A vast majority of participants who have opted to sit for the credential have passed on the first time.
- Self-Directed Audio Files: Coaches will listen to 6 additional hours of pre-recorded audio files and provided a brief write up.
- Individual Mentor Coaching: 5 mentor coaching sessions are included in the price of the program. Mentor coaching sessions are one-on-one and about an hour each. Susan Britton Whitcomb, PCC will be the mentor coach.
- Individual mentor coaching must be completed within 12 weeks after completion of the 12-week CELDC program. Missed sessions, without 24 hours prior notice, are billed.
Upon completion of the above requirements, coaches will receive a display certificate suitable for framing, a listing on The Academies’ Career Coach Academy web site to promote your credentials as a Certified MBA|University|Grad School Career Coach certification, and rights to use the CCMC MBA/UNIV/GRAD logo. In addition, the credential also makes you eligible for other opportunities that Career Coach Academy pursues on behalf of MBA/UNIV/GRAD practitioners.
The Certified MBA|University|Grad School Career Coach certification is valid for two years. To maintain the credential, 10 CEUs of coach-specific training (containing ICF core competencies) are required every two years.
Open Cluster Format (4-12 classmates): pricing and registration details please click HERE.
Private Cohort: pricing and registration details please contact Rachel Grima at Rachel@theacademies.com or 559.547.8200.
Note: Contact Rachel at (559) 547-8200 or email@example.com for more information and additional pricing options if you are registering two or more participants.
Should you need to withdraw, the following options are available:
Transfer Option: Should you want to retake the course, with a starting date within 12 months of the original starting date (subject to space availability) – a $100 administrative fee applies and an additional charge equal to the difference in price if the program has increased in investment.
Withdrawal Option: Receive a refund equal to 90% of tuition (if withdrawing before class 3 – note that upon notifying us of withdrawal, we ask you to delete the program handouts website page and any files you have downloaded); no refund available after class 3.
Questions? Contact Rachel Grima at Rachel@theacademies.com or at 559.547.8200.