Certified MBA | Grad School | University Career Coach Program
To support MBA, University, Grad School career services professionals in using a coach-approach so that students. . .
- prioritize their career in the midst of challenging academic schedules, “own” their success, and embrace challenges or setbacks as opportunities to grow and thrive
- pursue career goals that are in sync with their strengths, passions, purpose, and values
- take action to expand their professional connections, be of value to their networks, and gain experiences that will increase their value and marketability
Career Services Offices face the challenge of helping students leverage their academics into real-world employment. Student satisfaction scores, placement rates, and salary offers all factor in to measure success. Although students are typically motivated and want great opportunities as a result of their degrees, career coaches often encounter a number of challenging scenarios:
- Students who need to “own” their job-search to a greater degree instead of expecting career services to “hand them a job”
- Students who under-prioritize their job search due to academic demands, until it’s often too late to go for their ideal situations
- Students who network “transactionally” vs. “relationally,” or “quantitatively” instead of “qualitatively”
- Students who struggle with getting clear on their career/job target, or those who have a clear target yet will face major competition due to their marketability
- Students who are “double switchers” (switching functional positions and industry targets) and can’t persuasively communicate their candidacy
- And more!
You will be equipped to:
Here are just a few of the Universities with Academies-trained Certified Career Coaches on staff:
- Dartmouth College
Tuck School of Business
- John Hopkins University
Carey Business School
- Queen’s University
Smith School of Business
- Texas A&M University
Mays Business School
- University of Toronto
Rotman School of Business
- Yale University
School of Management
ICF Approval: This 30-hour program of Core Competency Training is the only of its kind approved by the International Coach Federation (ICF) as a part of our Accredited Coach Training Program (ACTP), Cluster Or Individual Training. Note: This program is approved by ICF under the names “Certified MBA Career Coach”; “Certified University Career Coach”; or “Certified Graduate School Career Coach”; one designation will be granted based on the types of students you work with most.
Meet for 12 weeks for group webinar sessions with 6 additional hours of audio archives followed by 5 individual one-one-one mentor coaching sessions for accelerated success.
Weekly topics include:
- Coaching vs. Consulting & ICF Core Coaching Competencies
- Fail-Safe Structure of a Coaching Call
- Career Reconnaissance
- Coaching Career Decisions I & II
- Reasons & Remedies for Hesitations
- Coaching Career Switchers
- Coaching Career Enhancers
- Networking/Informational Interviewing
- Momentum Building
- Mindset, Resistance & Common Derailers
- Coaching International Students
why the academies
Neuroscience: We’ve been training coaches for 20+ years, and we’ve spent the better part of our last 10 years gobbling up the latest research on neuroscience. Translating neuroscience findings into easy-to-implement coaching techniques is our passion. When you marry coaching techniques with mind-body biology, you have a much better chance of supporting your clients to make lasting change (they’ll thank you for it)!
Mission: We’re on a mission to “Change Minds, For Good” (starting with our own)! We believe respectful relationships and authentic conversations are the incubator for insight, action, and lasting change. We believe that every brain is wired for growth and capable of choosing well. We stand for growing our individual and collective capacity to feel good, think good, encounter good, and create good. If this resonates with you, you’re in the right place.
More on the brain: Our certification programs are intentionally structured to extend over several months’ time. That’s because new skills cannot be mastered in a weekend format (have you ever come back to your office after being at a great conference, only to forget half of what you’ve learned or be too busy to implement the other half?) Nor can coaching be mastered entirely by embarking on self-directed study or reading books (much the same as taking a course on music appreciation does not equip one to play Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata).
To learn effectively, the brain needs good “P.R.”—Positivity and Routinization:
- We make learning fun (you’ll remember more),
- We pride ourselves on creating psychologically safe learning environments (you’ll feel confident to take more risks), and
- We create opportunities to practice coaching over time (you’ll build “muscle memory” that lasts).
We “meet” from the comfort of home/office via webinar for 12 weeks, for 2 hours each time. The remaining learning time is via our online learning environment where you’ll interact with fellow classmates to deepen your learning (see “Outside of Class” paragraph below). Total credit hours approved by the ICF are 30.
The beauty of the 12-week program allows you the time and framework to assimilate, practice and execute the new systems, strategies, and communication styles learned. It also allows you to connect with your instructors and cluster-mates.
Outside of Class: How much time will you spend in addition to class-time hours? You will spend at least one hour each week completing follow up work from the previous class. Coaches have reported spending additional time implementing new coaching concepts learned in class.
If you wish to create a private cohort, the program sessions will be scheduled at a mutually convenient time.
Open Cluster Format: A group of 4-8 classmates; pricing and registration details please click HERE.
Private Cohort: pricing and registration details please contact Rebecca Potts at Rebecca@theacademies.com or 559.547.8200.
Note: Contact Rebecca at (559) 547-8200 or Rebecca@theacademies.com for more information and additional pricing options if you are registering two or more participants.
Our Program Policy and procedures
This program is appropriate for career coaches working in university career services offices, with a background in career development, recruiting, business, or industry.
We use Zoom technology for all of our classes. We highly recommend that you have access to a laptop or computer in order to download files and to download the Zoom app and test it 48 hours prior to your first class.
Attendance: Attend 10 of the 12 live class sessions
Vimify: At the conclusion of the program, participants will be required to finish Vimify (online classroom) tasks with an 80% or more within 10 days of the conclusion of the live classes. Your classroom tasks will include one hour of buddy coaching on the even weeks of class along with short daily tasks each odd week for a total of one hour of tasks per week. If the 80% is not met, the coach will be issued a Certificate of Completion for the course in place of the credential.
Buddy Coaching: All coaches are required to complete six hours of buddy coaching throughout the program which will be assigned every other week. It is recommended that you start coaching a leadership client after week 6.
Mentor Coaching: 2 group mentor coaching sessions with an Academies PCC Instructor are included in the price of the program. Mentor coaching sessions are in groups of two or three and about an hour each.
- 3 additional mentor coaching sessions are required if you have not taken mentor coaching with us before OR if you do not hold an ICF credential (ACC, PCC, or MCC).
- All mentor coaching must be completed within 12 weeks after completion of the 12-week CELDC program. Missed sessions, without 24 hours prior notice, are billed.
Upon completion of the above requirements, coaches will receive a display certificate suitable for framing and rights to use the MBA, University, or Graduate School logo. In addition, the credential also makes you eligible for other opportunities that The Academies, Inc. pursues on behalf of MBA practitioners.
Should you need to withdraw, the following options are available:
Transfer Option: Should you want to retake the course, with a starting date within 12 months of the original starting date (subject to space availability) – a $150 administrative fee applies and an additional charge equal to the difference in price if the program has increased in investment.
Withdrawal Option: Should you want to retake the course, with a starting date within 12 months of the original starting date (subject to space availability) – a $150 administrative fee applies and an additional charge equal to the difference in price if the program has increased in investment.