Academies Certified Strengths Coach
If you’re like many coaches, you already know about the power of strengths. Chances are you’ve taken the StrengthsFinder somewhere along the way. And yet, far too many coaches aren’t actively introducing, implementing, and leveraging strengths with clients or teams.
The Research Behind Strengths
For decades, the Gallup organization and others have documented the power of strengths. A comprehensive Gallup study showed that strength-based development leads to:
- 10% to 19% increased sales
- 14% to 29% increased profit
- 3% to 7% higher customer engagement
- 9% to 15% increase in engaged employees
A Brain-Friendly Approach to Strengths
The Academies uses a brain-friendly approach to strengths. What comes naturally to you has lots of neural connections in your brain.
More Neural Connections =
Lots of neural connections mean highly myelinated “muscle memory,” with split-second access to ways of thinking and doing. The problem, however, is that we either:
- Don’t realize we’re using our strengths, which leads to taking them for granted; or
- Don’t use them in a focused manner, which leads to a stagnant, stuck-in-a-rut life
Strengths coaching is like discovering you were sitting on a goldmine and didn’t even know it.
The Academies’ Holistic Approach to Strengths
Most strengths work focuses on a one-dimensional look at tactical/HOW-TO strengths. Yet, with a multidimensional look at strengths, people can figure out not just HOW to move forward, but better choose WHAT they want and WHY they want it.
This WHAT and WHY adds a powerful depth of motivation and inspiration!
Strengths Coach Program
Learn coaching techniques to implement these strengths tools:
1. CliftonStrengths* 34 themes—these are your “HOW” strengths. They help you execute and get things done with ease.
*formerly Clifton StrengthsFinder of the popular book StrengthsFinder 2.0
2. VIA Inventory of Strengths (VIA-IS)—these are your motivational “WHY” strengths. They help inspire, bringing meaning and purpose to your work and life.
3. Soul Strengths—unique to The Academies approach, we also weave in what we refer to as “Soul Strengths.” This is your “WHAT” strength—it’s that still, small voice within that guides, nudges, and clarifies what you really want!
This holistic approach honors the humanity within us and the people we coach, and epitomizes the coaching maxim that clients are creative, resourceful, and whole.
ICF Approval: This 30-hour program is approved by the International Coach Federation (ICF) at the ACSTH level.
The Updated ICF Competencies
The Strengths-Based Coach program also uses coaching competencies from the International Coach Federation’s newly revised 8 core competencies. In November 2019, ICF rolled out its first update to the core coaching competencies in more than a decade, reducing the number from 11 to 8. We’ll zero in on those most helpful in strengths coaching.
The Focus and Outline of Learning
Throughout the program, you’ll get to zero in on Strengths for the types of clients you work with most. For example:
- If you’re working with career clients, strengths can be incorporated in career choice, career brand, job search, resumes/LinkedIn profiles, networking, interviewing, career promotion.
- If you’re working with leaders, we’ll address strengths-based leadership to support one’s leadership philosophy, personal brand, managing up, team performance, conflict transformation, and more.
Uncertainty & Stress:
- You’ll gain insights on how stress and the Red Zone can contort or warp your strengths. Then, learn how to use Strengths to navigate uncertainty, stress, disappointments, delays, overwhelm, resistance, and conflict.
Mindfulness & Consciousness:
- Learn how Strengths can ease life transitions and deepen your levels of mindfulness and consciousness. Gain insightful techniques on compassionately turning strengths inward. Doing so can be key to letting go of limiting beliefs and self-defeating behaviors!
CliftonStrengths 34 Themes (formerly StrengthsFinder):
- “HOW” Strengths: Use ICF competencies in unpacking your full 34 strengths; practice with classmates and practice-clients; apply personally to specific goals and challenges; learn fun exercises and tools to deepen insights and application.
Values In Action Inventory of Strengths, or VIA-IS:
- “WHY” Strengths: Take the VIA-IS; identify where your work and life is aligned with or out-of-sync with values; learn simple and fun techniques to re-align and deepen; applying values strengths to practical tasks; blend together tactical/HOW strengths with WHY strengths.
- “WHAT” Strengths: Learn how to listen to and trust your Soul Strengths; notice what triggers you from not trusting; identify new goals for your own life; coach your classmates on theirs; try out with practice-clients.
- Deeper Application, Blending & Routinization. Tips for marketing your strengths coaching. Review of strengths toolkit.
In summary, Strengths never fail us. They are an ever-present “go-to,” equipping people to find both a workable game plan and the confidence to achieve their dreams.
If this approach to Strengths makes sense for you, take the next step. Email Rebecca at The Academies for more information – Rebecca@theacademies.com – or call 559-547-8200.
Our next Academies-Certified Strengths Coach starts Tuesday, August 25th, 2020. Payment plans are available.